• Recruitment Business Partner OR Recruitment Service Provider?
      Written by Savi, Senior Consultant – Engineering
      14 March 2016

      Recruitment Business Partner OR Recruitment Service Provider? A good recruitment practice always involves a thorough understanding of the client’s requirements and a proper search to identify the right candidate with right skill sets and experience to do the job. It used to be lengthy process, the majority of the time spent on searching and screening candidates. This time has been greatly reduced in recent years with the development of technology, social media, and increased competition, and this has pushed recruitment into a transactional mode.

      Most clients now have access to LinkedIn Recruiters account and a strong internal Talent acquisition team. As long as the client has the time to screen candidate applications and the right advertising and database platforms to attract talent, they can do the job themselves, so why should they use a Recruitment consultant?

      A recent article on LinkedIn highlighted that only 15% of the total talent market are active candidates, and most companies should be able tap into this talent pool on their own. In these cases, the transactional model could work well because there is more emphasis is on speed and cost. The remaining 85% will be the passive talent where candidates are attracted by non-monetary factors such as career growth, increased job satisfaction, and job security. Tapping and dealing with passive talent is totally a different ball game and requires a consultative approach.

      While some passive talent responds to Linkedin or e-mail messages, the majority of these people are hard to reach and require headhunting calls to initiate an exploratory chat to determine what would make the candidate move. There is more to a person rather than keywords on a CV, and meeting the candidate face-to-face and building a relationship is the key to engaging passive talent.

      At the same time, having a clear understanding of the client’s requirements and the ability to devise a customized recruiting strategy is crucial for the process. The client should provide all the necessary information on the role and its requirements because the more understanding the recruiter has of the role, the better the chance of finding the right match.

      This consultative approach requires the recruiter to conduct a “needs analysis” for both the candidate and the client because initiating an interview and getting the process going is going to cost time for both parties. It’s the recruiters’ job to make sure it’s a good match before the interview happens so that there’s a strong chance it will end in a successful placement.

      This process takes more time, but it adds more value to our clients by improving the quality of the candidates compared to transactional recruitment. The process becomes even easier when the client deals with a recruiting consultant who is specialized in the same sector as the client. The consultant in this case offers more than just a recruitment service – they provide a true business partnership.